Protecting Your Investments with Resourceful Litigation
Your assets are secure with the help of Lowey Dannenberg, P.C.
There are myriad ways that a corporation can disserve its shareholders, and when these corporations cross the line, Lowey Dannenberg can help secure injunctive relief and monetary recovery. Whether the malfeasance involves voting rights, fair compensation in mergers and acquisitions, appraisal rights or proxy contests and related corporate governance issues, we have the knowledge and experience to litigate your case effectively.
Creatively fighting for your shareholder rights
Our investor rights practice frequently stretches the creative bounds of this area of the law. Our settlement of a unique derivative lawsuit challenging excessive compensation and asset transfers to a corporate officer was a success we owe to the litigious strength of our AV Preeminent® rated attorneys. In another case, following a proxy contest, we won a precedent-setting ruling stating that an activist shareholder could defeat a quorum by not voting proxies that it had solicited. These innovative solutions are indicative of the resourcefulness and experience that permeate all aspects of our client-centered practice.
Scoring victories for industry leaders
The track record of success in protecting shareholder rights includes sizeable victories for institutional investors, including Millennium Partners, Glickenhaus & Co., Dolphin Associates LLC, Doft & Co., Karpus Investment Management, Laxey Partners (U.K.), Laddcap Value Partners, Santa Monica Partners and funds managed by activist investor Phil Goldstein. Further, our case record includes:
- A settlement gaining board seats and reimbursement of litigation expenses from Delcath Systems, Inc. following victory in an emergency appeal for Laddcap Value Partners.
- Blocking ratification of an unfavorable new management agreement for Salomon Brothers Asset Management by winning a precedent-setting opinion for Karpus Investment Management.
- Winning additional compensation for a class of NYSE seat holders in the Archipelago merger.
- $99 million of additional merger compensation for a class led by our client Dolphin Limited Partners.
- Winning an appraisal award after trial of $2.43 per share more than public shareholders who did not seek an appraisal for clients holding Travelocity securities, including an institutional investor and an investment advisor.
- Invalidating incumbent director elections, ordering a new election and replacing the entire board of directors of MVC Capital with our clients' slate for Millennium Partners.
- Implementing a successful opt-out strategy in DaimlerChrysler litigation, leading to highly favorable recovery (terms are confidential) for our clients relative to the class settlement for Glickenhaus & Co. and corporate affiliates.
If you or your institution has been harmed, nationally-recognized Lowey Dannenberg has the experience needed to handle your complex litigation needs. Speak with an attorney at our offices in New York or Pennsylvania online or at 914-997-0500.